Wednesday 5 June 2013

Monday 19th May 2008 (pp2962-79)

Now I've got a real good story to tell here. At the top of the inner back cover of this notebook (see below) is written an email address. It is the email address of a Brazilian man I met while I was writing outside Komedia on a sunny afternoon. Before I noticed him I noticed the beautiful tall super-model-type lady who was with him, then I think he came over and asked me something about something, about the café? I was friendly. He went back to his table. Then a bit later, he came over to me and said he had an offer to make me. He needed intelligent young people to go over to Rio De Janeiro to teach poor children English. If I was interested, then I should email him, and he wrote his email address right there in my notebook.

I don't think I ever seriously considered taking him up on his offer. It didn't appeal to me. It did, however, make me think about how maybe I should want to want to take him up on his offer. The opportunity was there for me to do something absolutely radical. For a while I found it interesting to fondle the idea of destroying my own personality and starting again in a dusty Brazilian slum.

Good story, eh?



























No comments:

Post a Comment