Wednesday 16 October 2013

Saturday 11th October 2008 (pp4060-71)

I would like to make it clear that the poem is not meant to be a good poem. It's meant to be silly, like a nursery rhyme, but also awkward and pretentious, like the protagonist of the book. In fact, a lot of the writing can be defended in this way. He is supposed to come across as callow and his writing should not be polished or it would be less authentic, even if it might have been more readable that way.

And then I started on this day the snooker story. It was perhaps the Grand Prix around this time, the Snooker Grand Prix that is, and that might have influenced this. I began to write it when I was sleeping on the sofa. The story is autobiographical. The snooker player struggles with his relationship with his wife, sleeps on the sofa and must decide whether snooker is more important than his relationship, as I had to choose between spending time with my girlfriend or writing, a constant self-enforced problem throughout this whole project.













No comments:

Post a Comment