Monday 10 September 2012

Saturday 8th September 2007 (pp545-555)

We had a gig on this day. It was a Scandal in Bohemia gig at the Ocean Rooms in Brighton, supporting Sumerian Kyngs (are they our ancient reptilian overlords?). Here is a review of it by Abi Rhodes (I think he was a man):

A band was ominously still sound-checking in a rather chaotic manner well past 9 o’clock, so it looked like it was going to be a long haul and I was pleased I chosen seating over 100% visibility.
As it happened, the band was soon done and pretty quickly they were introduced by mein host as A Scandal in Bohemia. Well, I have to say I was mightily impressed – they played an experimental piece lastly about 35 minutes utilising synth, flute, guitar, trumpet, drums, voices and an Apple computer sampling environmental sounds including the tearing of strips from a roll of Sellotape to great effect. Although it faltered slightly once or twice it was really a brilliant piece of mature improvisation especially from a group of four seemingly such young individuals [art school types!], whose numbers were somewhat depleted from their usual complement. With such creativity coming along, I think we need have no fear for the future of original musicianship. 


I played a pocket cornet and started playing it offstage. Ed and Max weren't there. It was another custom-made one-off set. Among the nine or ten people in the audience, Leo was there with his parents. We didn't enjoy the other bands. I think I might have gone to a party afterwards.












No comments:

Post a Comment